What’s the job all about?
More specifically, this crewmember:
- Develops high performance, highly scalable, custom themes and plugin applications for WordPress.
- Is obsessed with quality, detail-oriented, and has a proven track record of coding pixel-perfect responsive layouts from Photoshop, Illustrator or Adobe XD files.
- Has a deep understanding of web development technologies.
- Will work closely with project managers and designers to develop websites and web applications.
- Has a strong desire to continue improving their skills and stay on the cutting edge of web development.
What can you bring to our crew?
Would you define yourself as team-oriented, hardworking, creative, and fun? We are seeking someone with a high level of integrity and honesty; someone that genuinely cares for VSSL, our values, and our mission! The ideal candidate is someone who is dynamic, can write clean, well-documented code, possesses strong problem-solving skills, and is collaborative at heart. You like to “get things done” and you strive to deliver high-quality work – day in and day out! This creative crewmember will have:
- An associate or bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- 5-7 years’ experience sailing the “development seas”
- Proven, thorough knowledge of cross-browser compatibility issues, Adobe Photoshop, CSS grids & frameworks (Bootstrap, Flexbox, etc.)
- A good understanding of PHP objects and classes; knowledge with Advanced Custom Fields is a plus
- Proficient with command line for streamlined development (Git, Gulp, etc.)
- Proficient with CSS preprocessors like SASS
- Experienced in API integration
- HubSpot and Pardot experience are a plus
- Intermediate knowledge of technical SEO best practices
- Developing email templates using frameworks like MJML is a plus
We Are One Crew
The strongest crew is one that works (and celebrates) together. That’s because none of us is as smart as all of us. Through everything, we always have each others’ backs.
Communication is our Compass
Clear communication is our guide. We’re open with our thoughts and open-minded towards others. We’re always respectful—but we don’t sugarcoat s**t.
Quality is our Course
Our people and our work are our greatest assets. That’s why we don’t compromise when it comes to our crew, our clients, and our work. We deliver the best—every damn time.
All Hands on Deck
We know how to solve problems together by staying focused on creative solutions. We aren’t fazed by challenges or risk-taking. In fact, that’s where we thrive.
We’re a tight-knit group—we celebrate our wins and have fun along the way. Each crew member contributes to our collective success. “Up Spirits!” is our rally cry when the grog starts flowing.
Caring for our Crew
VSSL was named one of San Diego’s Best and Brightest Companies to Work For, 2018 and 2019. Once you’re aboard, treasures await!
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Remote set up and resources provided during COVID*
- Work-from-Home Wednesdays*
- Free Lunch Fridays*
- A galley of endless snacks, both healthy and not so much*
- Fun company events
- Weekly happy hours on our deck, overlooking the Marina!*
*NOTE: Due to the COVID pandemic, all team members are working remotely full time.
PLEASE NOTE: We take hiring very seriously. Although we are unable to follow up with every applicant, we do our best to run a thorough process for candidates to identify potential fits. VSSL provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Please Note - We sincerely appreciate your interest in VSSL. Due to a high number of applicants, we can only respond directly to those who best qualify and meet the specific criteria and standards of our roles.